Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When Laundry Attacks....

C'mon. No way. There is no way those pitifully small piles can have come from three whole loads of laundry.
Oh, wait, I'm dealing with baby clothes! Silly me.
Sigh. Getting caught up on laundry is trickier than it looks. There is so much to sort, and of course I have to wrack my poor preggie brain to recall which of the girls clothes they've grown out of, which shirts are too small for Esther and should now go to Taea, which jammies need repair before going back in the drawer, etc. It's a never ending process, because...well, we're always wearing clothes! Just when you think it's all done, it's not done.
Well, it could be worse. I could spend a whole day bent over a washtub, scrubbing my brains out, with lye soap that burns the skin away as much as the stains!
It's a day for waxing philosophical. Truth be told, I don't have much energy for anything else. I am attempting another day without meds, to see if my body has FINALLY overcome the nausea enough to not need them. Peanut butter sandwiches, and lots of fruit salad. Good summer faire, eh?
How could my life be different? I've had a lot of dreams lately about living in a bigger, nicer home. I hope it will truly come to pass someday. This one just ain't gonna cut it! It has been a good start, better than an apartment, but it will be so crowded this winter with three kids!
I could have an abusive hubby. I could have a guy that makes six digits a year, but totally ignores me. I could have a guy who worships the ground I walk on. Wait, I do!
Life is such a funny thing. We're always looking for that next bigger thing, that next better thing. We fail to recognize the good things we already have. I could be living in Kabul right now, terrified of having a bomb dropped on me, or having my husband killed, or my girls getting acid thrown on them just for not being dressed "properly". Life could be so much worse.
Does that make it bad to aspire to something more? No, not really. But when getting more becomes the focus of your life, instead of one goal out of many, THEN it is bad. We really need to step back and be grateful for what we have.
My friend's husband just lost his job. They are facing homelessness. Things like that, things that hit close to home, REALLY make you have perspective on life! As much as I want Jeff to make enough for us to have a better place, I'll settle for just having a roof over my head.
Yeah, when laundry attacks, it gives you time to think. Be thankful for laundry. At least you had something to wear today.

No comments: