Thursday, August 27, 2009

Another day, another.....what?

Y'know, I think that is actually one of the biggest problems as SAHM has. Sheer boredom. Yeah, we may work our tails off all day cleaning, changing diapers, cleaning some more, feeding kids, playing with kids, and just generally taking care of the house, but how mentally challenging is all that? Yes, yes, I know my kids will get old enough to start asking the tough questions, and that will be pretty challenging, but right now, while I am pregnant and have NO energy at all, it's hard to keep myself from falling asleep mentally.
I spend some time on the Net, obviously. Blogging helps me to reorganize my brain. Reading other people's blogs reminds me things could be so much worse. I just spend a little time seeing what is going on in the outside world, and more often than not, it encourages me to stay away from it as much as possible!
And yet there is some good too. The world hasn't completely gone to heck. The trouble is finding the good, while handling two rambunctious toddlers, without them getting snatched, or run over, or any of the other horrible things that can happen.
So...stuck at home. Most of the time. Worried sick about sending her to school. Could she be molested? Will she forever have separation anxiety from being sent away from Mommy so early? She's a pretty independent kid...but you still worry.
Then there is Taea, who is getting so smart. The day will come when she will figure out the doorknobs and locks, and I will be worried sick about her going out into the street in a moment of inattention.
So what to do? I can't live in paranoia, stress isn't good. For preggies, or anyone else. But neither can I just ignore the potential dangers. Just flip to the news sites for five minutes, and every day there is some new report about some new way your kid can get themselves killed in a seemingly innocent, safe home. Roman shades. I mean, c'mon, how random! They're even phasing out drop-side cribs because kids can get trapped and suffocate!
So how do I keep my kids, and myself, entertained and sane without putting us at risk?
Nope, not too sure on this one. Even just going out in the back yard to play in my fairly safe play area that is gated off from all the other stuff in the yard could be a hazard. They could get stung by a bee or wasp, they could fall off the slide and break their necks...or arms...or each other. And yet I can't be a helicopter parent because they will never learn that way.
Sigh. Y'know, some days I think insanity would be an acceptable option. Thoughts?

No comments: