Friday, August 21, 2009

I Love Cold Cereal!

Ever have one of those days where you know you didn't get enough sleep, but you're so stir-crazy you want to do something anyway? You go through the morning routine, get the kids dressed, clean up the wet sheets from yet another leaky diaper, and try to decide what you're going to do that day?
Then you step on one of your kids toys, mess up your foot, and it's a moot point?
Yeah, this is one of those days.
No, there's nothing majorly wrong with my foot, it's just kinda bruised. But still, it put a lid on my running any errands today. Which is hard because I have some documents to take to the school before Esther starts in a week, I have checks to deposit, I have to get a refund from the city for my Farmer's Market fee (long story short, people in my neighborhood don't pay because it borders the host park), I have to find a cover for the couch before the girls destroy it...
Lots of stuff to do.
And that is why I love cold cereal.
Yeah, I've read all the research comparing its nutritional value to soggy cardboard. If that were the case, I would have starved years ago. Some days, you just don't want to cook, you're too tired to care, and the kids couldn't care less what you feed them. Throw a banana in the mix, and voila, instant healthy breakfast!
It's hard not to feel guilty when I don't cook, but when you are pregnant and tired, or had a full day and you're tired, or you're just plain tired, nothing beats a bowl of good old fashioned cereal. Heck, it even tastes better if someone else gets it for you! How is that for the height of laziness?
But does that really matter? In the long run, who is going to care that you took a day off and ate cold cereal for three meals? I mean, it could be worse! You could have eaten three big bowls of ice cream! Or cake! Or polished off that last handful of cookies from the bottom of the jar, because you know you couldn't let them go stale!
Some days, it just doesn't matter. You have to let go, and let yourself have a day off. If you're hurt, that goes double. The next day, you'll be hating yourself for the work you put off, but you'll be thanking yourself that all the mess you created in the kitchen was a few stray cereal pieces on the floor, and bowls in the sink. Toss them in the washer, a few quick swipes of the broom, and you're done! We all know that the kitchen is the one room in the house where we spend the most time. And why? Because of all the work! Making meals, eating meals, cleaning up after meals, putting away groceries, pet food on the floor...you know what I mean. It is the messiest room in the house. Why add to it, when you really just can't take it anymore?
You could just eat out. Yes, that is true. But what is less stressful-eating a bowl of cereal at home, or dragging your kids out the door to sit while someone else does the cooking, you hope in sanitary conditions, and you try to maintain your sanity when your kids are done half an hour before you and spend that time making a huge mess on the floor and/or screaming their lungs out? I don't know about you, but getting the proverbial evil eye from the other diners is not my idea of fun.
My kids are actually pretty good when we eat out. But boy do they make a mess. And if there are no crayons, whoa, air-raid siren in progress!
Cold cereal. You can't beat it! Oh, and for the record, my favorites are........
Nope, not gonna go there! Sorry, but I don't feel like getting hit up for product endorsements. Besides, my favorites change with my mood. That is to say, every five minutes.
Just get yourself a bowl, and relax. The filet mignon will still be there tomorrow.

No comments: