Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Of cribs and diapers and sleeping in...

Oh yes. We slept in this morning. And paid for it.
Well, two of us did. Esther always bounces out of bed by eight or so, comes in and sticks her face right in mine and says "Wake up, Mommy!" This morning, because Taea was up late last night for no reason other than that she couldn't sleep, Taea was still out. So I got up, settled Esther in front of Noggin with milk and cereal after changing her diaper, then I went and crashed again. My bedroom door is right by the TV, so i can hear if Esther has a problem, I wasn't worried about it. Esther came in a few more times to try to drag me out of bed, but I just rolled over and ignored her. (I'm such a mean mommy, I know).
Then, around nine-thirty, Taea woke up. Screaming.
I kinda figured what I would find when I went in to get her. I thought she and the crib would be soaked. I was half wrong.
Her diaper had exploded out the back.
I immediately laid out a towel on the changing table, got her wiped off as best I could and plopped her in the tub. After a quick scrub and a fresh diaper, she was her usual smiley congenial self, so I gave her a cup of milk (working on bottle breaking still, only doing bottles at night now, yay!), and headed back in to do battle with the crib. I dumped everything onto the soiled sheet, gathered it up, and dropped it on the washer. I took some sanitizer wipes and cleaned up everything that hadn't hit the sheets, buried the plastic mattress in sanitizer spray, and put on a new sheet.
Y'know what's actually good about the whole thing? I had the energy to do it! So sleeping in ain't all bad. If I had gotten up earlier, I probably wouldn't have had such a mess because Taea would have been changed sooner. But then I'd be exhausted through the whole day.
So how the heck does one decide?
I think a lot of it has to do with your body's own signals. It is a good thing to listen to your body, particularly when you're sick. You keep thinking "I should get all this done now or I'll regret it later," but then you never get to rest. It never ends! There is no such thing as "done". So when you have absolutely hit your limit, you have to stop, or your body will start to fall apart, and then you'll REALLY have regrets! It's hard for Mommy to care for everyone else when she has nothing left to give.
Do I regret sleeping in? Naw. Do I want those hours back when I could get more done? Well, maybe, but if I hadn't slept in and tried to get stuff done while exhausted, I probably would have been moving slower and making more mistakes anyway!
Balance, people! It's all about balance!
Just make sure you have plenty of wipes.

No comments: