Thursday, May 17, 2012

Teachers drive me crazy

Okay, so maybe it's not ENTIRELY the teacher's fault.  Just mostly.  I get Esther out the front door to school, still in my jammies, and the bus driver waves me out to the road.  I cringe.  I already look like a blob in normal clothes, I look like a beached whale in my jammies!  Still, I run out there, trying not to prick bare feet in the grass under the horse chestnuts, and she informs me that there is going to be a water party today!
Party?  Really?  Since when?  I hadn't received any notice.
Turns out there was a reason for that.  Sort of.  I run back in, get her suit, hand it to the bus aide, and watch her drive off all excited for a party.  The rest of my morning is consumed with getting our van into the shop (again) so they can figure out why it is shifting weird and flashing speed sensor codes.  I walk home with the other girls (the shop is only 3 blocks away, thank goodness!) and get home in plenty of time to greet the bus.  I'm standing on the porch, anticipating greeting a drenched 5 year old who will likely want a bath.
She gets off the bus.  She is bone dry, and in tears.
Say what?
She walks up to me, and through her tears, it takes several attempts to understand what she is saying.  Her class did not get to participate.  Others did, but hers didn't.  I guess her teacher said something to the effect of "no swimming at school".
Huh?
So everyone else got to participate, but not her class.  After we went to the trouble to get her suit and towel, holding up the bus, (apparently a lot of parents had this issue, NO ONE had been told) and she comes home and tells me it was all for nothing.
Teachers, I understand that you're busy.  I do.  BUT SO AM I.  I do not have time to be running around trying to figure out the kids activities from day to day when you do not send me proper notice.  Not to mention that it causes serious confusion and disappointment in the kids!  If there is a reason they didn't get to party, TELL ME.  Do your job, it takes all of thirty seconds to bang out a quick email to the parents, and I know darn well you have our email addresses!  Next time, maybe us parents will just bring the water party ourselves.

No comments: